Red Lion, Montana Ghost Town of the Month

Red Lion is located up the North Fork of Flint Creek in Granite County.  

Red Lion dates back to about 1875 when gold was discovered. A mill was built by the Red Lion Company in the late 1890’s with another mill constructed in the early 1900’s. At its peak in 1906, Red Lion was home to two hundred people, mostly miners. The mine produced gold from a hard rock vein made up of about forty percent hematite, magnetite, and pyrite. There still stand the remains of the old tram line and old foundations of past buildings (a mill, a saloon, a restaurant, a blacksmith shop, and a boarding house).

The property was leased to the “Walkers of Philipsburg” in October of 1890. A ‘six foot vein of gold’ was discovered by the Walkers. The vein, and surrounding ore, was plentiful enough to run the mill at Red Lion, night and day, for six months. The publicity surrounding the Walkers’ discovery led to the discovery of four additional mines. The Red Lion mining camp, run by the Golden Eagle Company, came into being at the turn of the century. The years of 1902–1908 were the most productive years. A 3,800 foot tramway was built to connect the mines to the mill.

red_Lion_2          red-lion

[Sources: “Ghost Towns & Mining Districts of Montana” by Terry Halden;
“Montana Ghost Towns and Gold Camps” by Wm. W. Whitfield; and Wikipedia.]